In honor of Alzheimer’s Awareness Month, Allegro is focused on food that inspires and nurtures the body and brain. Here is a recipe for Memory Bark and an overview of all brain health benefits that come with this delicious snack.
Prep Time 2 hours: Yields approximately 1 lb.
- ½ lb. Dark Chocolate Ghirardelli morsels
- ½ lb. Semi Sweet Ghirardelli Morsels
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1 tsp of Cardamom
- ½ cup each of roughly chopped dried blueberries and dried strawberries
- ½ cup each of toasted chopped slivered almonds and walnuts
- 3 Tablespoons of unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3 teaspoons of flax seeds
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Melt ¼ pound each of Semi-Sweet and Dark chocolate morsels over a water bath. Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the final ¼ pound each of the Semi-Sweet and Dark chocolate morsels into the already melted chocolate. Now stir until everything is melted and the chocolate is cool to the touch but not hard. Finally, sprinkle the cinnamon into the warm chocolate. When the chocolate has cooled to the touch, spread the melted chocolate onto the parchment paper-lined sheet until it’s between ⅛” and ¼” in thickness.
While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle on your toppings. Let the chocolate harden at room temperature. Depending on your house temperature, this could take over an hour. Do not cool it in the refrigerator because when you remove it, condensation can form on the surface of the chocolate, making it wet.
Once it’s hardened, chop or cut the chocolate bark into whatever size pieces you like. Store in a covered container for up to a week or more. (The nuts may get a bit stale if you keep for longer.)
Allergy warning! Contains Nuts, Milk and Soy. Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Egg-Free, Vegetarian
- Walnuts, Almonds and Sunflower seeds for Vitamin E that helps minimize cognitive decline.
- Dark chocolate provides antioxidants and natural stimulants the improve focus and release endorphins to lift your mood.
- Berries provide flavonoids to improve memory and reverse forgetfulness by stimulating brain cell regeneration.