Daily tasks that were once simple can become more challenging as individuals age and face hurdles such as loss of hearing, sight and memory. Several senior hacks that can make each day easier through this stage of life.
Allegro is highlighting clever ‘Hacks’ or ‘Shortcuts’ to help seniors overcome common hurdles that often accompany older age.
– Ask for a map of your local grocery store and map out your route beforehand to reduce walking. Shop early or late in the day to avoid crowds. Better yet, use Peapod to have groceries delivered to your door.
– Use dark colored switch plates and outlet covers against lighter colored walls so that you can quickly identify their location(s) in a room.
– Take advantages of phone apps to help remind you each day when pills should be taken. Check out the app Pillieboxie.
– Put a sticker on pill boxes after you have taken pills that day.
– Sign up for Amazon Prime subscriptions to have basic household items shipped to your door each month.
– For those struggling with hearing loss, an amplified telephone can help make phone conversations a little easier. Amplified phones come with built-in amplification and tone control so you can turn up the volume higher than a traditional phone, and adjust the frequency of the other caller’s voice to better fit your hearing.
– Wear comfortable shoes that do not easily slip off your foot, have a good sole for traction and do not require tying for safety and convenience.
– Look for the large print versions of books.
– Use a highlighter at the beginning of each month and highlight activities you wish to go to that month.
– Add safety strips in your bathroom to prevent falls.
Hopefully, you or a loved one will find one of these hacks useful in your day-to-day life. Let us know what ‘hacks’ work for you and we will add them to our next Senior Hacks list.